Wednesday 22 October 2014

Does Anyone Know Where The March Is?

9 days 19 hours and 47 mins to go…

I made a stupid mistake a while back, regarding the correct template needed for the design of my new Christmas single, which caused me problems yesterday with the manufacturers. I spent the day correcting it, which was hard work because I have not designed for print before and a learning curve whilst under pressure is horrible. Anyway, this means that the single will not be available for the 1st of November date I wished but…I might have the album available for that time, I hope.
Update: The proofs came through this morning and they were fine, so I have given the go ahead. I won’t get them in time, but I hope to have the album, fingers crossed.

Does Anyone Know Where the March is?

The Newtown Neurotics were always conscience of taking ourselves too seriously, especially because of the seriousness of much of my lyrics, so I was keen on some humour on our first album and it was this track that supplied it.

We had planned to do a ‘Fairs Fair’ protest gig off the back of a lorry in central London, in support of Ken Livingston’s subsidy for public transport in the city. This had just been declared illegal by the Tory sympathiser judicial system despite all the evidence that cheap transport was good for business and for the people of London in many ways.
Trouble was, once we had loaded our gear on to the back of the lorry and had set up as best as we could, the generator refused to start. As the organisers of our float battled to yank it into life, the other floats moved off to begin the protest.
Once we got the generator working we set off, but ended up in the middle of the log jam of traffic behind the march. So we played to confused shoppers and people stuck in their cars. I thought it was memorably funny and so it had to become a song and our first humorous one to boot!

Whilst on the subject of not taking ourselves too seriously, we once played some dates with the quirky Toy Dolls. We got on well with them, they were a nice bunch of lads, but the funny thing was while we were on stage, we were earnest, angry and very serious, then the Toy Dolls took the sage,  and were just plain silly (Nellie the Elephant indeed). 
Once off stage, they were sober, serious and lightweight. They hardly drank at all, were very well behaved, quiet at the restaurant and went to bed early. Whereas once we got off stage, we were loud, silly, got outrageously drunk and laughed our way towards dawn and finally bed.

Hear how the day of the march unfolded here…





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.